Saturday, April 17, 2010

Help coming up with a good research paper topic on Tolkien's Lord of the Rings?

I love Tolkien's works and I really want to do a research paper on his Lord of the Rings series (or any of his works, actually), but I can't decide on which topic as it is so expansive.





The paper has to be a literary analysis and I've already previously done a paper on Christian symbolism within the books so I cannot reuse that topic.





Thanks for any suggestions!

Help coming up with a good research paper topic on Tolkien's Lord of the Rings?
I took a semester course on Tolkien at The University of Texas. Symbolism is a weak subject and I don't blame you for not wanting to rehash that subject matter.





I've read The Hobbit, The Trilogy and the Silmarillion.





Human nature, even though, it is through the eyes of a Hobbit,


is a great subject matter.





We want to help, we need to know, we see things through.





Alone, human nature is a vast subject.





You could shorten your research to the PLACES where human interaction occurs.





How does the quest make its way from the Shire to the Mount of Doom?





It is all by decisions made in particular places.


Write down all the named places.


Categorize them:


feels like home,


feels like evil,


feels like I am alone,


feels like I am with my fellowship.


feels like what ever...





The places where the interaction occurs is important to explain how each character feels.
Reply:About how it relates to WWII. It will be a long paper, and a lot of people already know much about this, why not try something else? Like Dante's Inferno


No comments:

Post a Comment