Saturday, April 17, 2010

Aviation Research ideas for graduate students; does anyone have any specific topics or ideas I can use?

this post concerns more towards some input rather an answer to a question. I am a masters student in search of a specific (very specific) idea to write about for the thesis/project. All my idea are too broad, as specified by my committee. My area of study: aviation, human factors, and safety. Current interest involves the study of pilots attitudes in relation to a theory called power distance (the amount of power a senior level pilot may have above junior level pilots). My interest is still to broad, and I am looking for some specific issues present in aviation safety. I need something simple/small and tangible to work with as I will take idea, research it, and write about it in extreme detail. Anyone with some suggestions, I would appreciate very much any recommendation's or ideas that you can throw my way. Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Aviation Research ideas for graduate students; does anyone have any specific topics or ideas I can use?
Maybe this is still to broad, but what if you narrowed it down to just one aspect of the power distance? For example if you just compared the attitude difference between a first year junior pilot and a first year senior pilot. See how much difference the promotion to senior makes in their attitude? I would think since you would be studying just two sets of people, that would make the area for you to research a little smaller.


If this doesn't make much sense, I am sorry-I don't know much about the aviation industry, but like you I am trying to work out a subject for my thesis, and everything I come up with would be fantastic for a dissertation, but it is too broad for a thesis.


Anyways, good luck with your studies, and I hope either what I said helped, or that someone comes up with a better answer!


No comments:

Post a Comment