Monday, May 4, 2009

What research topics can you think of combining insurance, business management and IT?

I'm about to start my MSc thesis soon. I am looking to enter the insurance arena (yup, I've got the actuarial career in mind!), but am stuck doing a Business Management and IT degree. Hv decided to make the switch soon, and plan to use my present thesis as a springboard. However, my University will only allow me to choose a topic that involves both or either of my primary subjects, namely, Business Management and IT. Can you think of any topics that could help me make this leap? Perhaps, something to do with management issues in insurance, or how IT can help solve a practical insurance issue? Any suggestions...?


Many thanks,


Charles DJ.

What research topics can you think of combining insurance, business management and IT?
Insurance rating software development
Reply:In order to rate your auto insurance policy, we collect the kinds of data from you that have direct input into the rating: your gender, marital status, age, territory, use of vehicle, make and model of vehicle, driving record, other drivers in the household, and perhaps a few others I fogot.





We also collect other kinds of data from you that do not have direct input into your auto rating: other insurance, premium collection promptness, occupation, credit history, income, etc.





How can we use this other data in rating, or if not in rating, in underwriting? According to the rating laws of your state (research them - but specifically that rates shall not be excessive, inadequate or UNFAIRLY DISCRIMINATORY (capitalization added by me for emphasis) ), would it be illegal to use any of these other kinds of data? Or to the contrary, are rates that do not use them already illegal because they are already unfairly discriminatory?





What is the role of IT in keeping the organization legal with regard to data collection?





**********





This is all well and good - but take some actuarial exams.


No comments:

Post a Comment