Monday, May 4, 2009

I need some new ideas for research topics for my 12th grade English Class.?

We are getting ready to begin the dreaded research paper unit. I am tired of the same old topics. Are there any high school English teachers out there with ideas on how to make this assignment more exciting and interesting for both my students and for me???

I need some new ideas for research topics for my 12th grade English Class.?
I know exactly what you mean....I'm not an English teacher, I'm a Business teacher...but one thing that I did in my Business Law class is changed the type of topic.


Instead of a flat topic, I have them compare/contrast 2 thoughts. For example, instead of doing a paper on juvenile justice, they would write a paper on juveniles being tried as adults vs child. Or they can compare the legal system by looking at the difference between preponderance of the evidence vs beyond a reasonable doubt.


It tends to come out more like a persuasive paper but they still need to do research on it.


Hope this helps!
Reply:I'm not an english teacher either, but a science teacher. We have been brainstorming several ideas at school. One of them is to have them use current events, such as How does the admission of pro athletes using steriods affect the way teen athletes view the use of performance enhancing drugs?


We have also looked at the idea of making in a cross-curricular assignment. Meaning it was used and graded in more than just their english class. Therefore having greater weight.


1 comment:

  1. I need some research done on this remedial reading site:
    http://sites.google.com/site/colorthevowels/
    It helps adults with decoding problems read better, but has no effect on dyslexia. Fluent readers hate it.
    I'm not a professional, I'm a carpenter. I am in no position to document the efficacy of the site, I need a credentialed professional who is willing to mess with it.

    ReplyDelete